The objectives of CLASS are to:
- Coordinate and strategically promote litigation outcomes which support districts’ rights to effectively manage school operations and improve student outcomes
- Ensure labour issues are litigated in the most cost effective manner
- Achieve economies of scale on legal costs
- Increase the predictability of costing for school districts
- Minimize duplication of legal services.
CLASS pays for the defence costs of grievance arbitrations and other labour actions on behalf of school districts and/or BCPSEA. For clarity, CLASS applies to the following:
- Grievances at or after the step in the grievance process immediately preceding referral to arbitration
- Grievance arbitrations and appeals of grievance arbitrations
- Applications or claims (other than appeals) made against a school district(s) and/or BCPSEA before the British Columbia Labour Relations Board
- Claims made against school districts and/or BCPSEA before the courts related to an employee covered by a collective agreement or a union
- Human rights complaints where the Risk Management Branch has delegated its authority, with BCPSEA’s agreement, to BCPSEA to manage the case.
(together, the “Core Program”)